Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane, burn incompletely.
In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Called the “silent killer” because you can’t see or smell it, CO enters the body through breathing. CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses.
DID YOU KNOW?
A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.
In 2005, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 61,100 non fire CO incidents in which carbon monoxide was found, or an average of seven calls per hour.
Protect your family with a carbon monoxide detector connected to your security system that will contact the monitoring station when the poisonous gas is detected. Considered a “live safety device,” the police will immediately be dispatched.
This is also helpful in protecting pets while you are away.
Some insurance companies also consider a carbon monoxide detector to be an environmental sensor, and may provide you with additional discounts on your home owner’s insurance. Contact your agent for more details.