We’re always on the lookout for new security and safety tips, and this year we focused on grilling, doorknocking scams, and vacations.
2018 summer safety tips
The unusually hot summer this year may have a lot of people indoors or in the pool until dinner. Then it is time to grill. Did you know that July is peak month for grill fires? Keep your outdoor cooking unit a safe distance from your home, and make sure it cools down properly before leaving it unattended. The following infographic from the NFPA provides interesting facts about grilling:
People hit the streets to gain new business in summer, and some businesses can be fraudulent. Unfortunately, the alarm industry has seen many scams over the years. Ethical security companies are teaming up with local law enforcement and the BBB to offer consumer protection tips from unethical doorknockers selling security systems or monitoring.
- The person will say things like, “I represent your alarm company and we are here to upgrade your equipment” or “Your alarm company was recently bought out by my company and you need to sign new paperwork.”
- The person will be pushy and aggressive about making the sale, and insistent on their paperwork without being clear.
- The person will use scare tactics, and often cite inaccurate stats about crime in your area.
If you feel uneasy about the situation, contact your current alarm company for verification. If you suspect you have been a victim of an alarm scam, please contact your local authorities ASAP.
Before leaving for your summer vacation, check off the following list to keep intruders from checking out your home while you are away.
- Automate your lights to go on and off at different times of the day to give your home that “lived in” look.
- Have a friend or neighbor mow your yard, pick up newspapers and any packages that have been left on your front porch.
- Contact us to provide vacation dates so we know how to get a hold of you in the event of an alarm.
- Wait until after you return to post pictures on social media. Bad guys are online, too.
USE YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM.
Did you know that when the weather gets warmer, your home has more of a chance of being broken into? Apparently, the bad guys don’t like the cold, either.
Statistics have shown that 60% of convicted burglars said the presence of a security system influenced their decision to target a different home.
- Most criminals burglarize a home in less than 10 minutes.
- 34% of burglars enter through the front door and usually go straight to the master bedroom.
- 70% of home invasions occur when someone is not home.
- Most burglaries take place between the day hours of 10AM and 3PM.
To summarize? Make sure every time you leave the house, you arm your security system!
REPLACE BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTORS.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends replacing batteries in your electrician-installed smoke detectors and your wireless lifesaving devices every 6 months. Home-fire fatalities occur the highest in homes with no working smoke detectors.
UPDATE YOUR CALL LIST.
Make sure people’s names and phone numbers are corrent with us, and add anyone who may be coming in and out of the home, such as contractors, babysitters, or friends.
SIGNS AND STICKERS.
Are your Atronic Alarms signs and stickers seen from the street? If yours are faded or you need more, give us a call. We’ll run them by your place when we are in the neighborhood.
PREPARE FOR SPRING STORMS.
Wind, rain, lightning . . . power outages. When this happens, your alarm system automatically shifts to its battery backup, which is usually found in the panel and can last about 8 hours. Your battery should be replaced every 4 to 5 years. Call us to “Tune Up” your security system, replace the battery, and check all your devices.
2017 Fall Safety Tips from Atronic Alarms, Inc.
Practice a fire drill twice a year with your family and test the batteries in your electrician-installed smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Remember, your Atronic Alarms installed fire* system is always on, even when your alarm system is turned off. *Fire devices must be in good working order and communicating with our central monitoring station.
Halloween is nearly upon us! If your plans for the weekend include carving pumpkins, here are 11 fun pumpkin-carving tips from Good Housekeeping and ExtremePumpkins for safe carving and fun designs.
The recent hurricanes pounding the coasts this month are reminders that Mother Nature reigns over humans every time. As we wrap up September, which is National Preparedness Month, remember that it’s never too late to complete a disaster preparedness plan.
We complied information from Ready.gov for emergencies faced by those in the Midwest. For a full list of preparedness plans for all type of emergencies, please visit the Ready.gov website.
Preventing false alarms. Before heading out for that last summer trip, act to ensure that your security system won’t accidentally be triggered while you’re out of town. Or if it is set off, make sure your security company knows exactly who to contact.
Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, marks the first time those in the contiguous U.S. will be able to view a total solar eclipse in 38 years. The line of “totality,” which is where the moon completely blocks the sun from view, crosses just North of the metro.
Back-to-School Safety Tips
with Atronic Alarms, Inc.
At dusk, the lulling sound of cicadas signal that summer is ending. It also signals that school is starting, and a panic is rising in all of us who have younger children. We’re not ready. We’re not ready for the early morning hectic schedule, the parent meetings, the lunches, the agonizing nights of homework . . .
As temperatures rise, so do door-to-door home security scams. Some are perpetuated nearly every summer, and we’ve warned of them in the past. However, every year, criminals create new ways to take your money. Knowing what to look for is the best way to avoid getting caught up in their schemes.
Below are 5 quick summer safety tips in 2017:
- Some alarm companies use unethical door-to-door sales tactics in the summer. We do NOT send people to your home without first contacting you. If you have any questions or concerns, call us at 913.362.0000.
- Keep your outdoor cooking unit a safe distance from your house, and make sure it cools down properly after grilling before leaving it unattended. Read You Saved Our Lives.
- Make sure your children and their friends stay safe in your home with cameras that send you image alerts over your mobile phone, tablet, or desktop. Be assured that the gun safe, liquor cabinet, or backyard pool is not accessed without your knowledge.
- Contact us to replace any old or faded Atronic Alarms, Inc. yard signs. Make sure they are seen easily from the street.
- If you are leaving for vacation, automate your lights to go on and off at different times of the day to give your home that “lived in” look. Have a friend or neighbor mow your yard, and pick up any packages on your porch and newspapers in your yard.
Have a Safe Summer!!