Vacation Protocol Keeps Your Home Safe
School is out. Summer is here. Vacations are right around the corner for you and your family. Keep in mind as you are planning your get-a-way that there are safety procedures you should take while you are gone. A list of the following will help prepare you for your leave and will give your home a “lived in” look which will help deter burglars.
1. Contact us or Central Monitoring Station at 913.432.4545. Let us know when you will be gone and when you will be returning along with the phone numbers to reach you in case of an emergency, as well as a list of all of the people that will be coming in and out of your home. This is critical to create a faster dispatch time and quick notification to you in the event of a break in.
2. Have a neighbor pick up your paper and get your mail. Do not call in and have your mail put on hold with the post office. It is better to have it delivered daily.
3. If you are gone for a long period of time, ask someone to come in and mow your grass.
4. Keep a neighbor’s car parked in your driveway.
5. Automate your lights to turn on and off at different times during the day and evening.
6. Keep a radio or T.V. turned on. If someone is sneaking around the outside then the noise will make him think the house is occupied.
7. Leave drapes and curtains open as normal.
8. Keep pets at home. Again, ask a friend or neighbor to “pet watch.”
9. Don’t post your vacation dates on your social networking pages, like Facebook.
10. Update your Atronic yard signs and stickers. Make sure they are seen from the street.